Friday, June 04, 2010

The US economy in a mess, but dollar surges ...

A long time ago, our high school English included a play called "The Refund" ... at least, I think that is what the title was (I am simply excited I can remember this much given that 30 years have passed since I exited the best high school I could have had.)  In that play, a character runs into his schoolmate who says he made a lot of money trading in currencies, and this oaf has no idea what is going on.  The successful guy then tells him that if he does not know even that, then he ought to go back to high school and get his tuition and fees refunded!  (Hey, anybody reading this, any chance that I might locate this play on the Web?)

I sympathize with that dolt in the play who could not understand how people can make money from currencies.  I mean, look at this: the American economy has been awful for quite some time now.  The stock-market wants to sink down to where the BP well is spewing like an undersea volcano.  Unemployment continues to be way too high.  The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan suck money, life, and any sense of hope. 

And, guess what?  The dollar is appreciating.  Money is rushing into America.  Bernanke, et al, have no pressure to raise interest rates.  It is almost like we have entered a bizarro world!

It just so happens that the US might suck, but the rest of the world seem to be suckier.  I tell you, am ready for my refund :)

No comments: