Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Product of the day: bicycle

I think I was about nine years old when I learnt how to ride a bike.  In my teenage years in high school, my friends and I biked all over the town, and many a time outside of the town too ...
Even as a grad student, I relied on my bike for everything from going to campus to the grocery stores.  I loved my bike, which I bought as a used--very much so--bike, and the basket in front was just the right size.  I was devastated when somebody stole it.  I could not believe that somebody would steal that very old, used bike!
Anyway, later when I was gainfully employed, I bought bikes.  But, I sold my bike more than a year ago--as I got older, the more I found the damn seat too uncomfortable!!!
But, I would love to have the bike pictured here--looks way too cool and simple ...
Bangalore-based Neil Foley is a leading Product Designer. This year he won the ‘Silver Prize' in the 14th International Bicycle Design Competition. His design ‘Spine', as the name suggests, is designed like the backbone and supports the whole body.
The designer explains:
The essence of the bicycle design is brought out by its simple, elemental and basic structure and lack of visual clutter. So I concealed the drive within the skeleton, which made it more elegant. Then the durability factor; I had to take Indian roads and weather into consideration. The basic factor I concentrated on was safety. Usually when you have an accident with a bicycle, the metal components cause the injury. So I clad the metal in Elastoma which is a shock absorber. This will help reduce injury. Also, the bicycle was made out of light weight metal; so it's easier to manage it.
Yes. I want it.  Hey, btw, if I get this bike, given the name of the design, I suppose people will no longer call me "spine"less :)

No comments: