Monday, June 21, 2010

It is summer ... finally!!!

Summer officially--astronomically--began this morning.  (editor: here is a depressing thought: from now on days will get shorter!)
The summer solstice is a result of the Earth's north-south axis being tilted 23.5 degrees relative to the sun. The tilt causes different amounts of sunlight to reach different regions of the planet.
Today the North Pole is tipped closer to the sun than on any other day of 2010. The opposite holds true for the Southern Hemisphere, for which today is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year.
Growing up in the southern part of India, I was familiar with only three seasons: hot, hotter, and hottest!  Of course, I am kidding; there was only one season--HOT :)

But, as a kid, I cared for nothing, as all kids are (and ought to be?)  Life was only in terms of school days versus holidays.  And holidays meant doing nothing, or climbing up mango and tamarind trees, or biking all over the place, or playing cricket, or fighting with my brother while doing any of the previously listed activities ... maybe the age difference was why I never fought that much with my sister? ...

It was a near magical place where I grew up, and I thank all the lucky stars for that.  It was my own MacondoNeyveli will always be my true home in my heart.  It will be awesome to have my ashes scattered in Neyveli--well, after I die, of course!  Perhaps under my favorite mango tree in the yard.

No comments: