Saturday, April 06, 2013

The economy avoids graduating students as if they are Kafka's bugs!


Students seem to avoid coming to my office in the spring term much more than how they dodge me in fall and winter, because now is when I am even more interested in their answers to my second favorite question, “so, what is your plan for the summer?” My favorite question being “so, what do you plan to do after graduating?”

If experience has taught me anything, then I should have quit asking these questions a long time ago—most students would rather that I don’t trouble them about these issues. Yet, I do.

Almost always, it seems like what students want is to simply get the heck out of the university. Thus, every single instance that I engage in this back‐and‐forth with them, I am reminded of Franz Kafka’s short story, The Departure. It is a short one‐paragraph story that I often share with students:

I ordered my horse to be brought from the stables. The servant did not understand my orders. So I went to the stables myself, saddled my horse, and mounted. In the distance I heard the sound of a trumpet, and I asked the servant what it meant. He knew nothing and had heard nothing. At the gate he stopped me and asked: "Where is the master going?" "I don't know," I said, "just out of here, just out of here. Out of here, nothing else, it's the only way I can reach my goal." "So you know your goal?" he asked. "Yes," I replied, "I've just told you. Out of here‐‐that's my goal."

If at all, I feel a greater urgency to share that Kafka story with students because of the brutal economic conditions that await them even as they express their goal to get “just out of here.” The Great Recession might have ended with an anemic recovery, but is not by any means a healthy economy that awaits the twenty‐somethings. Even internship opportunities, which were in the past guaranteed pathways to careers, seem to have dried up.

Over the past couple of years, in my visits to the stores and during the travels, I have met fresh out of college youth working at the checkout counters of grocery stores, washing cars at rental places, and waiting tables. None of these require a college degree, of course. But, they work at these places because it beats not working at all. One—a recent psychology grad—expressed her worry when she said, “I don’t want to become a lifer here.”

Most students, once past their bubbly freshman years, are well aware of this reality, which is also why they wish that I would not ask them about their plans. The non‐traditional students who are back in school because of the atrocious employment conditions outside always seem to walk around with worried expressions.  One can easily sympathize with students, therefore, for their immediate goal to simply get away from me!

Worry is what we should all do. According to a recent report from the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, about 48 percent of the employed college graduates are in jobs that do not require a four‐year degree. More than a third of those occupations did not even need anything more than a high school diploma. Such a high level of underemployment after a significant amount of time and money invested in a college degree should worry us all.

Just when I thought I had seen everything regarding underemployment of college graduates, I felt horrified to read about a McDonald's in Winchendon, Massachusetts, advertising for a full time cashier position that was restricted to college graduates. Even worse, it required one to two years of prior experience!

My comforting words to students are nearly Polyannaish—“at least you are not in Spain where the youth unemployment is more than fifty percent.” I tell them that even Ivy League graduates are having a tough time, hoping that misery loves privileged company.

The real tragedy is that despite all these trends over the years, we seem to be continuing with college degree as a cure for all, with more determination than ever. Within this collegiate education, it disappoints and depresses me that it is possible for students to have never read anything by Kafka when, ironically, the economy treats new graduates as if they have become the monstrous bugs that Kafka wrote about inThe Metamorphosis.

John Maynard Keynes famously said “When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?”  Have we not accumulated enough facts for us to change our minds regarding this expensive approach to getting every kid to college?


A tired, but a much younger me,
by my office door in 2002

3 comments:

Ramesh said...

Yes, the economic conditions are brutal and its a not a great time to get out into the job market, But I am going to pick up an argument with you.

Firstly equating college education with only a job is incorrect, going by your own previous arguments. We don't get a degree only to get a job. A college degree equips us with knowledge, the ability to think, moulds us in formative years, especially if you can have a Prof like Prof Khe ! So most should get a college degree, disagreeing with you. The issue of debt is another subject altogether.

Secondly, the job market is not all such doom and gloom. In the initial years, maximising salary is not the objective. Experience is. So if the young lot were adventurous enough, they'll get a job all right. Go to China, learn Chinese and a job awaits you. You don't even have to learn Chinese - come to India. The BPO sector will gobble you in your own discipline (even psychology will do), as long a you don't expect to earn $20 K. Go to Africa. Even in the US, go to a call center and work different hours.

It is tough, but not impossible, I think.

Sriram Khé said...

I am trying to walk a very fine line in these contexts. I don't ever think that higher education is about employment alone. Which is why even in this piece I lament that students don't even get to read Kafka. It is all about the thinking, yes.

However, I am not in favor of the current system in which whether the young want to or not, and whether they have the aptitude or not, we are presenting them with a Hobson's choice that is essentially "go to college and don't expect to earn much, or don't go to college and you can earn even less because burger flipping jobs are now for college grads."

I prefer a system in which those who want to learn how to think, or those who want a college degree for whatever reason, attend college and the rest can go about whatever they want to do. As I have written elsewhere, many students go to college only because they are afraid they will be otherwise looked down upon as losers, and that is such a horrible statement on societal values. I care not whether a person is a college grad, as much as I hope nobody will judge me as a loser simply because I can't swim!

The key is the one that you casually mention: "as long a you don't expect to earn $20 K" ... Higher education is sold--yes, highly marketed--as the path towards a successful middle class life, and any 18-year old firmly believes that when they graduate with a BS there will be that entry-level $2,500-plus a month job that will launch them into higher and modest incomes later on. For years I have been complaining that colleges do a bait and switch: they promise students these economic rewards and then later tell them that education is all about the mind, to prepare for life-long learning. That is plain false advertisement.
They advertise that way because, come on, let's face it: how many 18-year olds will jump up with joy at the prospect of doing philosophy and geography and Kafka!

BTW, how do you know that I am/will be a good prof? Could it be an assumption that just because I blog and write that I ought to be good in the classroom with students? ;) I find that students who come to my classes expecting a linear approach of "here is what I say, here is what you need to know for the exam" pretty much get to the verge of hating my approach which is anything but that. Check this out, for instance:
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=408222
I imagine that the word-of-mouth is worse than this.

Like I have often noted in the blog, I wrestle with these issues only because I can't simply collect my paycheck and watch TV. I wrestle with these because I know there is no perfect answer and I want my fellow citizens to think through, even if they differ with me. But, we can't simply allow the status quo to continue ...

Sriram Khé said...

More on this from Megan McArdle:
"Skilled workers with higher degrees are increasingly ending up in lower-skilled jobs that don't really require a degree--and in the process, they're pushing unskilled workers out of the labor force altogether."
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/03/27/why-a-ba-is-now-a-ticket-to-a-job-in-a-coffee-shop.html