Sunday, October 14, 2012

More on life and death ...

Perhaps it is only natural that as the days get shorter and cooler, well, I think of my own mortality too.  Like how Hollywood waits for autumn to start releasing its dramas, after all the fluffy movies from mid-spring through the summer.

Thus, here I am continuing with the ramblings on life and death, as if yesterday's was merely the beginning!

When my thoughts head in this direction, I am often reminded of John Updike's Requiem:
It came to me the other day:
Were I to die, no one would say,
"Oh, what a shame! So young, so full
Of promise — depths unplumbable!"

Instead, a shrug and tearless eyes
Will greet my overdue demise;
The wide response will be, I know,
"I thought he died a while ago."

For life's a shabby subterfuge,
And death is real, and dark, and huge.
The shock of it will register
Nowhere but where it will occur.
So wonderfully has Updike captured a great deal of emotions in such a lovely little simple poem.

We are all mortals, engaged in a battle with that ultimate champion of all--death.  A tiny miniscule are remembered for a while after they are gone, but a great majority of us will be lucky to be remembered by a handful for even a few days.  With many of us, it is, as Updike writes, "I thought he died a while ago"--even when we are alive!

But, it doesn't mean that we merely sit around waiting for the grim reaper to make his presence known.  Kalidasa--yes, that Kalidasa--advises that we ought to be reap that profit of being alive. The following couplet is from Kalidasa's Raghuvamsha via Subhashitani...
मरणं प्रकृतिः शरीरिणां विकृतिर्जीवितमुच्यते बुधैः ।
क्षणमप्यवतिष्ठते श्वसन् यदि जन्तुर्ननु लाभावानसौ ॥
- रघुवंश

Death is the natural steady state of nature. Life is an aberration. Wise men realize this.
Even if one is alive for just a second, he must consider himself in profit.
- Raghuvamsha
Yes, go ahead and celebrate the fact that you are alive. Kalidasa said so.

My celebration, yesterday, included making this:


6 comments:

Ramesh said...

Celebrate life for sure..... but any more posts on death and I am going to shoot you :)

Cheer up young man. Enjoy the lovely wet, dark, rainy days of Oregon :):)

Indu said...

May be it is the issue with translation : I dont like Life being an aberration - If death can be called the steady tambura shruti, life can be an extra note -an extra chord- not an abaswaram. Atleast, if i could i'd celebrate and make it a new ragam. It would be a pity to be wounded, lest it goes abaswaram. it can be a kalyani or charukesi or lalit -no probs, but not abaswaram- not an aberration right?

some one told me: I dont wish you peace- Because you can be peacefully dead! I want everything to happen to you - everything of life- the good and the bad- Live life king size!
I am still very grateful for that blessing. Party time!!!
Was that a pulav?

Sriram Khé said...

Indu, I disagree with your friend's take on peace. I agree that to experience the remarkably rich life is fantastic. But, I would certainly want to have that inner peace whether what I experience is pain or pleasure.

I don't think about the literal meaning of life as an aberration as much as the idea that in the grand scheme of things, life is such a short, almost an instantaneous, event. Thus, we need to celebrate the fact that we are alive. And, again, celebrate not as in get drunk and celebrate, but, to back to your friend's comment, to live through all those emotional and intellectual experiences.

That food? I think that was when I experimented with my own version of a Spanish tomato rice. Well, for that matter, all my cooking is nothing but experiments given that I leave no recipe untweaked. I have a collection of my food photos on Facebook ... but for that we need to be FB friends too ;)

BTW, kalyani and charukesi? Hey, Ramesh, are you listening? ;)

Indu said...

I am curious - about the last line - kalyani, charukesi and Ramesh?.. want to evesdrop

The friend wished me inner peace which would run thro despite the roller coaster ride that life could be! I guess we meant the same thing.

my id on face book is very straight forward- should i find you there? or can you find me?

Sriram Khé said...

Hi Indu, yes, got your FB message ... When all I know is your name here as "Indu" there is no way I could have tracked you down in FB.
Too bad that Ramesh refuses to join FB ;)

About the ragas ... way back, as a kid, I was absolutely into carnatic music, had a knack for identifying ragas, and even learnt music for a while. But, that was also one of the things I ditched into adulthood. More on that here:
http://sriramkhe.blogspot.com/2011/07/can-atheists-become-carnatic-music.html

I referred to Ramesh here because he had recently blogged about carnatic music. A performance he had been to in Bangalore. Maybe he can provide that link, instead of me digging through the emails ;)

Sriram Khé said...

Like the annoying faculty who follows-up on class meetings, here I am with the link to Ramesh's take on carnatic music ;)

http://sujamusic.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/what-makes-a-perfect-concert/