Thursday, October 04, 2012

Spicy chicken, and friendly strangers. Life ain't bad!

I left home as scheduled.  A few minutes into the drive north, I needed warmth.  Another couple of minutes, I wanted to stretch.  In no time at all, I felt awfully sleepy.  My head bobbing kind of sleepy.

That is not me at all to feel sleepy when driving.  Perhaps a sign that I am getting older, I told myself.  Thus, a little more than 30 minutes into what would be at least a four-hour drive to the destination, I exited and came to a stop along a farm road.

And slept.

For an hour.

In my car, under a pleasant sun filling the car with light and warmth through the sunroof.  One of the best sleeps I have ever had.  As I woke up, I wished there was somebody to hand me a cappuccino and cookies.  It was a farm road, not a fairyland!

The result: after getting myself coffee and snacks, and by the time I got past the evening traffic that was quickly building up, I was almost three hours behind the hour that I had planned on reaching the hotel.

No stress; this is what life is. 

When I reached the restaurant where the crowd had gathered, the waiters were serving the main course.  I said hi to a few in the crowd, and told Michael that I would grab something to eat somewhere else.

He graciously offered to split his food with me.  I thanked him, and said no.  "You might want to try the restaurant that is right by the hotel" he suggested.  "I don't know how pricey it is, but I was told that the food is very good there."

I didn't care to look at the menu posted outside. "No reservations, and it is for one" I told the staff as she started scanning the register.

She looked around.  "I can seat you right away at the counter."

There was a couple there, and I sat on a chair, leaving the customary one-seat space.

As I scanned the menu, I felt the couple or the woman looking at me.  I turned towards her and said hi with a smile.

She gave me a huge welcoming smile and so did the man who was with her.  It just felt so good.

"You cannot go wrong with anything you choose from this" she said.  And before I could ask them, came the clarification: "we are regulars here, and we love the food and the people."

Pointing at a woman who was serving at a table, she said that was a co-owner.  She kidded around with the waitresses. 

I told her I was thinking of ordering the chicken pepperoncini.  "That is what my husband had" she replied.  The waitress brought them the take-away boxes.  "It is a lot of food though, and this will be our lunch for tomorrow."

As they proceeded to leave, the husband joked with the waitress that I was thinking of ordering French toast and that he had recommended to me a plain bagel.

"They are wonderful gals" the woman told me.  "They will take good care of you."

"When you are so wonderfully friendly, I am sure they will" I replied.

"That was so nice of you. Thank you."

They left, after giving a big and warm hug to the waitress.

I ordered the chicken pepperoncini. With a salad.

"Sounds good. It'll be slightly spicy."

I nodded my head.

I wished that the couple hadn't left, and that they were around to chat with me.

1 comment:

Ramesh said...

Plizzz to clarify the following

- Did you give the waitress a hug too ??
- One week into the new term and you are already sleeping at the wheel. What have you been doing Mr Khe :)