Saturday, October 27, 2012

Desi Humor ... Is it ok if non-Desis laugh at these?

In a Seinfeld episode, a competitor comedian goes through a religious conversion so that he can then joke about both his old and new religions, thereby vastly expanding his own safe-joke territories.

By becoming an American citizen, I feel I, too, have two wonderful safe-joke territories, in that I can make fun of, and laugh about, all things Indian or American. 

Heck, I can play my Indian card when it isn't even about jokes.  The other day, in class, "B" remarked something about pronouncing the word "treacle" to which my response was something like this: "you are asking a guy who walks around butchering every word with his accent."  I so know that I can get away with mispronunciations, while an American-born cannot :)

But, the more Indians view me only as an American, well, I think that my days of freely and publicly enjoying jokes related to India will be numbered.  I shall keep pushing my luck!

The following three are all from tweets with the hashtag #DesiJokes:
From @Sadia_Sandhu:
Rasgulay and Gulab Jamun. One is white and the other is dark. Both are sweet. Say no to racism
From @BipashaKhan:
If crack came in mango flavor, all desis would be mango flavored crack-heads 
From @Mandeep_Kaurx:
You offer someone a sincere compliment on their mustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore.
Another thread is with the hashtag #DesiProblems
From @Srithanya:
I just read IPADMINI as I PADMINI
From @SanaTazeen:
Seriously though, ironing mens shalwar kameez is like ironing a tent.
From @Eagles9412:
20 min late to a party and still the first ones there
Hey, we know humor in both these countries; good for me :)

If mixing two countries results in humor being multiplied so much, imagine how fantastic it would be in the scenario that Russell Peters makes us laugh about:

1 comment:

Ramesh said...

Ha Ha ha. I Padmini ??? Buhahahahah