Monday, October 29, 2012

The mystery that is called English grammar

A few years ago, back in California, I requested the English department folks to loan me a graduate student for 30 minutes every week.  The idea was that this student would remind students in my class about the basics of writing, and then as the term progressed, I would pass along to the graduate student problem-patterns in writing-related issues in the assignments, who would then use those real examples in the 30-minute session.

I went this route because as much as I emphasized the importance of writing, I was almost always at a loss when it came to explaining to students why something didn't quite feel correct.  There was one particular occasion when a student raised her hand in class and asked for the difference between "affect" and "effect" because I had crossed out her usage of "affect" and written there that she should have used "effect" instead.

I had no clue how to answer that question.  I was stumped.  I told the class that I merely had a feel for it after all the years of working with the language, and that they had to take it up with the writing folks.

Which is how I ended up asking my colleague, Kim, for a loan, so to speak.  Through her, I worked with quite a few grad students over the two years or so.  They helped me out with the in-class discussions every term.  One of them, Rebecca, said she loved the language so much that her favorite night time readings were typically books on English grammar!

I am sure students who are experiencing me as an instructor for the first time soon find out that I will bug them, bug the crap out of them, about learning to write.  I remind them that there is a long way to go, for me too.

Grammar issues like this, for instance, when punctuation kills :)


Another common error that we often run into:


That same site has this humorous explanation about "affect" and "effect"


It is not that I am a grammar-Nazi, but, ... :)


3 comments:

Ramesh said...

There, Their, They're ...........

Chatty Wren said...

loved it, yes, I have the same problem with English grammar, things don't feel right but I can't explain it to someone why. And it has as many or even more exceptions to the rule than even French.

Sriram Khé said...

Thanks for comforting me there, Ramesh :)

"Chatty Wren" ... welcome here ... Vibha is the name I notice in the "About" in your blog ... I wonder how many degrees of separation exist between us, eh!