Monday, July 19, 2010

The "five mothers" mystery is solved :)

So, a few days ago I blogged about searching for the Sanskrit verse about five mothers in a person's life.  I noted there that I could not locate the original verse.

A helpful reader emailed me a note earlier today:
Sanskrit Pearls has put up the verse that you were looking for:
And included the URL of that one.  My thanks to the reader for that feedback.
(Hey editor: see, we have proof on consecutive days that there are people reading this blog.  Pay me now, will ya!)

Here is the verse I was looking for:
राजपत्नी गुरोः पत्नी मित्रपत्नी तथैव च
पत्नीमाता स्वमाता च पञ्चैता मातरः स्मृताः
- चाणक्य नीति

Transliteration:
raajapatnI guroH patnI mitrapatnI tathaiva cha
patnImaataa svamaataa cha pa~nchaitaa maataraH smRutaaH
- chaaNakya nIti


Meaning of the subhAShita:
The king's wife, the teacher's wife, friend's wife, wife's mother and his own birth mother - these 5 should be deemed as mother figures
Hey, my memory was not bad, after all ... Score!  The site has a commentary on the deeper meanings of this verse.

No comments: