Friday, September 09, 2011

"Have a nice night" she said

I casually scanned the movie listings on a Thursday evening, and "The Beginners" was listed at the dollar theatre. "What if it is gone when a new schedule comes up on Friday?" I thought. I had only about 30 minutes to decide before the final ten pm show.

I had wanted to watch this movie from the time I heard its writer/director's interview on Terry Gross' show.  I was driving home from work, and was absolutely fascinated both by the plot and the earnestness of the guy. And, I like both the main actors--Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer.

So, I went.

It was ten minutes before movie time, and I was the only one in the hall. I was a tad worried--if I got whacked there, then nobody would find out anything until the movie ended and the cleaning people walked in.  I sat with the cellphone in my hand--ready to call 911 if needed.  Strange worries we have as we get older, I suppose!  I imagine I will become one of those cranky old men ready to use the walker as a weapon even when people merely ask "may I help you?"

Five minutes later, a young couple walked in and sat a few rows ahead of me across the aisle on the other side.  My cellphone went back to my jeans pocket.

And, just before the lights dimmed for previews, a mother/daughter duo walked in--well, they looked like a mother/daughter.  About a 20 year old girl.  True to the gender stereotypes, they couldn't decide on where to sit. I was reminded of an experience at a coffee shop many years ago in Bakersfield. The woman ahead of me reached the counter, and hewed and hawed and placed her order.  Just as the clerk was punching in the order, she told him she didn't want that.

And then she turned around to me and said "it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind."  I threw my hands up in a mock surrender and smiled.

The mother/daughter duo chose a row, then another, and then finally sat down.

"Too crowded the theatre is, eh" I remarked with a chuckle.

They laughed.  "Too many choices" said the older one.

The previews didn't start though--the projector was stuck.

I walked over to the lobby area and informed a guy there, who seemed not too pleased that he had to work that evening.  "Yeah, that one has been causing us problems all day long" he said as we walked back.  He went to the projection booth as I returned to my seat.

"Thank you" the only other man in the audience said.

"What? Only a thanks?  You owe me five bucks."  Ha ha!

The previews and then the movie played.  Was well worth the money and the time.  The credits barely started rolling when the couple left.  Less than a minute later, the mother/daughter duo stood up, stretched and starting walking out.

The mother was first and the daughter followed her.  As she passed my row, the daughter paused and said "have a nice night."

For a nanosecond, I was pleasantly stumped.  I had never been wished a good evening in such a setting. "Oh, thanks. Have a wonderful evening" I replied.

Life is wonderful!

BTW, it is Friday and, yes, the schedule has changed and The Beginners is not listed anymore.

No comments: