Thursday, September 22, 2011

The crazy language called English ... and the wonderful game of bridge.

I loved the following description:

It defies logic. If English made any sense, the word 'lackadaisical' would refer to a shortage of flowers

Awesome, no?

It didn't come from some obscure pedant.  This is from the column by Frank Stewart--his daily columns are on the game of bridge.  I read his bridge columns not only because I play bridge, but all the more because of the wit and word play he brings to the discussion.

We siblings learnt playing bridge from dad (and mom, who would reluctantly join us.)  Now, I play online, which eliminates the need to organize a bridge-playing group in the real world. 

In the small town where I grew up, there were some serious bridge players, who organized tournaments at the local Park Club.  I mean, it was more than a game to them--serious, serious looks they sported.  I particularly remember one of them because of the picture he presented: he was an engineer, with a traditional brahmin tuft of hair, and there he was playing bridge in a room which was cigarette-smoke filled.  Strange juxtapositions.  In a way, a more visible version of the mixed bags that each and every one of us are.

Mom taught us the other thinking game--chess.  My brother and I have fought quite a few physical fights only a few minutes into a round of chess--perhaps rarely ever did we complete a game :)

One of my favorite movies from India also deals with the game of chess--Shatranj ke Khilari.  

Anyway, back to English. One hell of a crazy language it is.  I joke with students that most of them lucked out with English being their first language--they, therefore, have no idea what a pain the rear end learning it can be!  More here, and here, for starters.

No comments: