Friday, April 15, 2011

Academic bloggers. I wish all faculty did this

The NY Times lists a few academic bloggers ... a strange listing though ... Dan Drezner is a conspicuous omission here--I wish the paper had profiled his blog instead of Mankiw's ... Mankiw rarely does any serious analysis in his blogs, but Drezner does.  And, of course, who can forget that it was his blogging that supposedly made Drezner a lesser scholar, and then all those controversies over his tenure, or being denied one ...

I started blogging back in 2001, when I was in Bakersfield.  Lacking the big time credentials, I thought perhaps a few of us fellow academics could blog together, at least about issues of relevance to the Central Valley.  I figured that this collective output might draw web traffic.  But, the few faculty I chatted about this couldn't care.  An active local resident, a fellow planner, Graham Kaye Eddie, suggested that I team up with him and we recruit a few more people from the city and that we blog about local political issues.  But, I didn't want to be restricted to the really local topics alone.

After I got here to Oregon in fall 2002, again, lacking the gravitas to go solo, I tried to interest a few fellow faculty who engaged me in discussions.  This was before I was excommunicated.  But, they too didn't care for blogging, and as far as I know are yet to blog.  Perhaps a fear to face public scrutiny?

Anyway, here I am tilting at windmills :)

No comments: