Saturday, April 02, 2011

30 years later, my cheeks still sting from my teachers slapping me :(

In 2002, I visited my old school with my parents and sister.  As a family, we were visiting Neyveli for the first time since leaving that town for good in 1981, with a whole bunch of mixed emotions.

As we were getting ready to exit the school, much to my father's surprise I rejected his suggestion to say hi to the principal.  Father tried his best, and I kept saying no.

After we returned home, I explained to my family my reason: this principal was our English teacher and at least twice slapped me hard on my face for no reason at all.  On one occasion, one of the teachers was sick and we had a "free class."  I made use of it by walking up to the cashier's office to pay the fees for the month.  While returning, this English teacher stopped me in the corridor, asked me why I was wandering around and ... slapped me hard.  Of course, boys couldn't cry; so, I kept walking to my classroom.

Now, father was simply shocked.  "Why didn't you tell me then?  I would have gotten that guy fired" he said ...

So, then I told them about another crazy teacher--our physical ed teacher.  It was a rainy day and, hence, instead of exercise and games outside, we were stuck inside the classroom.  We had been ordered (yes, strict orders!) to be silent and study or do our homework.  I turned and whispered something to my friend, Kannan, who lives in Detroit now.

Well, this PE teacher asked me to step outside with him and slapped me on my face a few times, on my shoulders a few times ... all for a whisper!

Corporal punishment!  Even if one were to believe in how the rod straightens out a child, well, I hadn't even committed anything grievous enough to warrant those slaps.

Apparently it still continues in schools; else, why would the Indian government want to address "corporal punishment" in the Right to Education Act, eh!

Isn't it crazy when the law has to address the possibility of a teacher beating the crap out of a child?

Nothing funny about slaps. 

No comments: