Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Remembrance of things past: Sujatha

I checked in with The Hindu, as I do almost everyday, and there was this news report that "Actor Sujatha, who made waves in the south Indian film industry in the Seventies and Eighties, passed away here on Wednesday."

I suppose we are all mortals, with our respective expiration dates.  But, this young?  She was 58!

Sujatha came on to the scene as I was beginning to understand movies, above and beyond the simple fights, comedy, and the song-dance numbers.  She was one of the many actors--male and female--in the South who made the characters on the screen believable enough (at that time. well, it has been decades since I watched an Indian movie anyway.  Well, except Peepli Live, which came close.)

The following video has a song that was immensely popular then and, thanks to how it is presented in the movie, practically comes across as a homage to Sujatha.



The following video brings back a lot of memories:

No comments: