Saturday, April 02, 2011

Is Colbert and Fallon performing Friday worth the fundraising cause?

Talented people these are. (Click here for the background story on why Colbert and Fallon perform this Rebecca Black song.)



As much as I appreciate Fallon and Colbert for doing this, the $52,000 raised appears to be next to nothing compared to the cost of producing this five-minute clip.  I mean, add up the cost of labor and materials that went into this, and I am willing to bet all the money, which I don't have, that this total cost exceeds the amount raised for charity.

I have this complaint all the time when I see celebrities leading some charity drive or the other.  It used to drive me crazy when Robin Williams, Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg did that fundraising "Comic Relief." The could have simply handed over their big paychecks from their movies and other ventures and spared us of all their sermons!

For a long time I was on NRDC's mailing list (yes, I, too, care about the natural environment!)  It was atrociously hysterical to get emails from my "friends" Robert Redford and Leonardo DiCaprio asking me to donate to some cause or the other.  These are guys who earn gazillions of dollars, and own quite a bit of the natural environment through their real estate holdings, even like this one.  

I way prefer the approach a few celebrities take--like Sandra Bullock, for instance, who is reported to have donated a million dollars for relief operations in Japan.

Oh well ... as for the original "Friday," here it is:

No comments: