Sunday, March 13, 2011

Naima: John Coltrane and Hisham Matar

Earlier, I noted about Hisham Matar's short story, Naima, which was featured in the New Yorker.  It was a coincidence that his story was published about the time that protests began in Egypt, and later in Libya as well.

It all came together so well that it became a part of the final project assignment for one of my classes.  But, what I didn't know then was that one of John Coltrane's pieces is titled Naima.  I suppose it is yet another measure of how music-challenged I am!


Of course, to the nerd in me, the immediately nagging question was this: what is up with Coltrane titling it Naima?  According to Wikipedia, he named the composition after his wife, Juanita Naima Grubbs.

So, now I am all the more curious: where from did Coltrane's wife get the name Naima?  The all-knowing Wikipedia draws a blank!

The baby names website notes that Naima is a name of Arabic origin, and means to be contented.  Even as I read that, I was thinking, "shouldn't it be "to be content" and not "to be contented" ...?"  I hope a grammarian can clear this up!  (editor: what makes you think that anybody reads this blog?  Awshutupalready, we have traffic data!) 

Anyway, perhaps it is with this meaning in mind that Matar named that character Naima?

No comments: