Friday, March 25, 2011

The end of "My Family" :(

For a couple of years I have chuckled and laughed away watching the beeb's "My Family" that PBS broadcast on Saturday nights.  (Ahem, does that mean admitting that I had nothing else to do on a Saturday night?)

BBC is ending that show soon:
The BBC has decided that, once the 11th series is over, we shall never again be treated to the sight of Robert Lindsay hanging out of his bedroom window in his underwear. My Family, that warhorse of ever-so-slightly risqué sitcoms, will reach its last corny punchline later in the year; the show following the travails of dentist Ben Harper is apparently just too long in the tooth.
I recall one of the really funny recent episodes in which Susan decides to hire a housekeeper, much against Ben's preferences.  When it turns out that the housekeeper is one heck of a Mary Poppins, well, Susan goes comes up with crazy schemes to get rid of her.

I suppose at some level all sitcoms get to be corny and they reach their expiration date.  Thank goodness South Park is still funny--though sometimes grossly so--anytime I am able to catch one. 

No comments: