Sunday, March 20, 2011

More on the March Madness that the Libya War is

After expressing my utterly baffled and disappointed response to the Obama government taking the country into yet another war, I wondered whether I am just plainly cuckoo and that everybody else was correct.  (editor: you are half right--about the cuckoo. Awshutupalready!)

Turns out that there is at least one commentator whose opinions and analysis I have followed over the years--James Fallows--who, too, wonders what the heck is going on.  First, his bottom line:
Count me among those very skeptical of how this commitment was made and where it might lead.
Yep, same here.

All right, more from Fallows:
the Administration has not made the public case that the humanitarian and strategic stakes in Libya are so unique as to compel intervention there (even as part of a coalition), versus the many other injustices and tragedies we deplore but do not go to war to prevent. I can think of several examples in my current part of the world.

I didn't like the "shut up and leave it to us" mode of foreign policy when carried out by people I generally disagreed with, in the Bush-Cheney era. I don't like it when it's carried out by people I generally agree with, in this Administration.
It is such a relief that I was not alone in thinking along similar lines.  In my post, too, I had referred to a few specific examples of horrible injustices and whether that means Obama will take his guns and travel around the world.  Awful crap from the guy who was supposed to bring in transformative changes.  Instead, all we have is a more oratorical version of Bush.  I bet Bush feels vindicated now.

And, Fallows concludes is pretty much the same way I did too:
I hope the results are swift, decisive, merciful, and liberating, and that they hasten the spread of the Arab Dawn.
I thought the way Obama went about the healthcare reform was the dumbest of his presidency.  Well, with this Libya War, Obama has shown that we are yet to plumb the depths of his imperial dumbness.  I am now all the more convinced about my right call in not voting for Obama, and not voting for McCain either.  It is really all tweedledum and tweedledee.

Meanwhile, the Arab League throws one hell of a curve ball by declaring that it was in support of merely a no-fly-zone, and not direct military strikes.  Oh, great, just the kind of complications we needed:
the Arab League’s approval of a no-fly zone on March 12 was based on a desire to prevent Moammar Gaddafi’s air force from attacking civilians and was not designed to embrace the intense bombing and missile attacks—including on Tripoli, the capital, and on Libyan ground forces—that have filled Arab television screens for the last two days.
“What is happening in Libya differs from the aim of imposing a no-fly zone,” he said in a statement on the official Middle East News Agency. “And what we want is the protection of civilians and not the shelling of more civilians.”
Moussa’s declaration suggested some of the 22 Arab League members were taken aback by what they have seen and wanted to modify their approval lest they be perceived as accepting outright Western military intervention
I suppose there is one way to sum up all my feelings: WTF!

No comments: