Saturday, February 27, 2010

Getting rid of Grade 12 in high school

I am all for it with respect to the high school situation. Read more at the NY Times Magazine.

But, .... that means that my freshman class will be a whole bunch of 17-year olds?  At least when they are 18, I can tell them (and I do) that they are adults and I won't babysit them .... if they are 17 and living in the dorm .... wait, I was 17 when I headed to the engineering college.  Hmmmm .....

So, these minor issues aside, I do not agree with high school ending at 11 if the argument is being advanced strictly on economic efficiencies that are nothing but budgetary considerations.  Because, I could then propose, a sort of reductio ad absurdum, that we may as well transform K-12 into K-9. (Yes, pun intended! arf arf!!!)

No comments: