Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Drooling, thinking about jackfruit ....

"Chakka", as it is referred to in Kerala, morphed into "Jack" .... but, who cares what it is called ... it is one tasty fruit.

Back in India, my mother cooks the young, unripe jack fruit--before it develops into its huge size--in a couple of different ways.  One of my favorite dishes.  Am drooling when I think of it. 

I think it is one of those dishes that is fast disappearing from the urban kitchens.  Unfortunately.

And the ripe fruit .... aaaahhhhh!!!!

Last summer when I was in India, mother, father, my sister, and I sat on the floor and worked on a ripe jack fruit--cutting it up, and plucking that fleshy fruit without messing it up much.

Then to remove the seed from each and every one of those.  Mother cooked those seeds, which is a wonderful dish by itself.  When we were young and we had a backyard, we used to roast those seeds and then sprinkle salt ....

All these thoughts on a cold, foggy, mid-winter morning :)

No comments: