Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Chevy Suburban turns 75. I did not know that!

Thanks to this piece at Slate, I got to read an interesting essay at Wired, on the 75th birthday of ... the Chevy Suburban.  I tell you, everyday is a revelation that I don't know *&^%--I had no idea that this was that old, and I would have guessed that it pretty much debuted in the SUV years of the 1990s.

Wired educates me that:
First debuting in 1935 amid the Great Depression and Dust Bowl exodus, the vehicle then known as the Suburban Carryall holds the distinction of being the longest-continuously-produced vehicle model in the United States. As much as we think SUVs are for the most part a blight upon the landscape, we’ve got to tip our collective hat to the Suburban for its longevity.
 Check out the photographs of the various avatars of the Suburban.

No comments: