Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Le Deuxième Sexe en Amérique

I grew up in an India that had a woman as a Prime Minister.  I grew up with an elder sister. In my classes, girls were smart, and attractive.

Even though I was fully aware of the restrictions on women of all ages, while men of all ages had a lot more freedom, I never thought twice about the ability of women to be engineers, doctors, or political leaders.

Here in the adopted land, I am shocked day in and day out on how much women are not taken seriously, especially in politics. 

Heck, even in college administration.  In the history of my university, which has gone through many transformations from its founding in 1856, guess how many female presidents we have had?  Let me make the math simple: How many female presidents of my university over the past 163 years?

One.

Yep. Only one. From 1995 to 2002.

But, hey, the consolation is that our story is more the rule than an exception. At least we had one female president.  The flagship university in the state hasn't had even that many. I don't think they have even had a female provost!

I have threaded together a few tweets about how the Democratic Party has a number of qualified female candidates in the contest and yet it is the (white) men who are being considered as electable. Even in 2019, women are considered not electable. 

In a potential toss up between the pussy-grabber and a qualified woman, the pussy-grabber winning because his opponent is a woman says a lot of awful things about my adopted home!

Seriously, the pussy-grabber?

Meanwhile, in the old country, a man who ditched his wife in order to freely go about his divine mandate of Hindu-fying India and restoring traditions is all set to win another election.

Something is rotten.

No comments: