Tuesday, May 07, 2013

What if I get outed for who I am: an intellectual empty shell?

I started reading Cass Sunstein's essay in the New York Review of Books because it was about one of my all time favorites--Albert Hirschman.


In that essay, Sunstein writes:
Hirschman sought, in his early twenties and long before becoming a writer, to “prove Hamlet wrong.” In Shakespeare’s account, Hamlet is immobilized and defeated by doubt. Hirschman was a great believer in doubt—he never doubted it—and he certainly doubted his own convictions. At a conference designed to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of his first book, who else would take the opportunity to show that one of his own central arguments was wrong? Who else would publish an essay in The American Economic Review exploring the “overproduction of opinionated opinion,” questioning the value of having strong opinions, and emphasizing the importance of doubting one’s opinions and even one’s tastes? 
I ditched Sunstein and went after the Hirschman essay.

Wrong call!

It was a wrong call because the more I read Hirschman, the more I started feeling smaller and smaller and smaller ....

Let me explain.

It is a profound question that Hirschman asks: "Is it a good thing to have opinions?"

I have opinions on a whole bunch of ideas and people.  Sometimes I blog them.  And then there are times that I send my opinions across to newspaper editors.  As I noted in that post, I try keeping my opinions under wraps as much as possible.

But, throughout all these, there is always a nagging worry: what if people find out that I don't know?

So, when Hirschman put up that question on whether it is a good thing to have opinions, I started worrying.

In developing his arguments, Hirschman then quotes from Chekov, Humboldt, Dante, and more.  I have never read the Inferno, barely read and watched a couple of plays by Chekov, ... I realize, yet again, that I don't know a damn thing.

I suppose the hassle is that I have no idea what the measure is to be a small-time university professor.  In terms of intellectual content, I am confident that I have more to offer than a typical kindergarten or high school teacher might.  But, how much more than that average and how much less than a Hirschman am I supposed to know?

It will be wonderfully easy if there were something like how at Disneyland rides there is a board with a line across stating that one has to be at least that tall to be allowed to go on the ride.  Is the mere possession of PhD enough to make me taller than that line to be a university faculty?  What if my PhD itself was a sham?

Do other faculty walk around wondering about this?  Or, unlike me, are they confident that they know quite a bit.  Do they not feel thrown around for a loop when they read a Hirschman or watch a lecture by Feynman?  I wish we faculty talked about all these.  But, of course, we would never!

Is this how students feel in my classes? Do they worry and wonder that I might point out that they don't know, despite all my assurances to them that I don't expect them to know; after all, had they known the subject, they wouldn't have registered for my classes anyway.  In case any such student is reading this post, hey, in case you ever doubted it, now you know that I truly feel your pain.

So, what is Hirschman's answer to that question of whether it is good to have opinions?
Given the "basic need" for identity in our culture, the forming and acquiring of opinions yields considerable utility to the individual.  At the same time, if carried beyond a certain point, the process had dangerous side effects--it is hazardous for the functioning and stability of the democratic order.  Under present cultural values these side effects do not enter the individual calculus--they are like external diseconomies.  Hence there will be an overproduction of opinionated opinion.
Here is to hoping that I have opinions and that I am not opinionated.

And, a much bigger hope that nobody would ever find out that I don't know!

8 comments:

Ramesh said...

Wonderful post. God; what all stuff you read :)

Your penultimate sentence sums it up for me - Have an opinion, but not be opinionated. Not having an opinion is the ultimate form of laziness - not thinking about anything and simply existing.

By the way, this is the first instance I have come across complete nonsense as a title of your post. You can be accused of all sorts of things (!!!), but not of being an intellectual empty shell.

Sriram Khé said...

yes, that "existential" aspect of opinions is the starting point of the essay in which Chekov comes in:
"Chekov seems to say that not to have any opinions is tantamount to not having individuality, personhood, identity, character, self. And she who has no self can hardly have any self-respect."

Thanks for the compliments ;)

Mike Thissell said...

What does the average High School Teacher know?

Ralph Musgrave said...

“Every profession is a conspiracy against the laity..”. Or as Adam Smith put it,“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public…”

Sriram Khé said...

Hey, I don't want to be drawn into a discussion of what an average high school teacher knows ;)
I am sure we will agree that a university faculty ought to know a lot more than what a typical HS teacher knows. The question is how much more, and how much less than, say, a Hirschman.
I would argue that we--society--ought to debate and discuss the question of how much a HS teacher ought know as well. Even more important is this: how much should an elementary school teacher know? More in this in a different post :)

Yes, GBS, whose quote I have used as the blog name, was essentially re-telling Adam Smith's observation. While people might not initially think about it this way, higher education as an industry is one heck of a conspiracy against the public that, to a large extent, believes in what educators tell them. The public has learnt to become a lot more suspicious of many other professions ... our time of reckoning is not far off :(

Thissell said...

It is too bad that you chose to detract from your otherwise excellent and self conscience write up, by using a separate profession as a comparison. Your main point that all people should be humbled by the shear mass of what we don't know is an important lesson, especially for those who dare to educate.

In regards to "knowing more." If we are referencing the know as discipline knowledge, such as Geography, I can agree. If we are looking at broader interdisciplinary knowledge, eh maybe. If we are considering the "know" to include teaching and instructing, not a chance. I greatly respect the WOU Social Science faculty, however, I am confident you would all experience a steep learning curve transitioning from the lectern to the classroom.

Sriram Khé said...

Yep, it is one hell of a huge gap between knowing and teaching. Which is also why I continue to argue that just because somebody has demonstrated that they know--typically via advanced degrees--does not automatically mean that they can teach and teach well. One of my comparisons to get this idea across is this: big time athletes, even Tiger Woods, seek out coaches who can help them. The coaches are almost always no-names. But, apparently are wonderful teachers, right? Why else would star players hire them even though the coaches had never won anything in their playing days?

There are enough posts at this blog that I have tagged with "teaching":
http://sriramkhe.blogspot.com/search/label/teaching
Some are tagged with "learning"
http://sriramkhe.blogspot.com/search/label/learning
Some of the posts have both the tags.
The "evidence" that guides me ;)

Mike said...

Good call on coaches, it is a comparison I too make. Good coaches too though are trained Advanced degrees do help in this process of learning pedagogy.