Sunday, May 12, 2013

On Mothers ... wisdom from the old country

A continuation of sorts of the posts over the years.

Growing up in India, there was no concept of a special day for mothers.  Or fathers.

In my initial years in the US, the concept of wishing mother or father seemed strange.  Very odd.  The idea of wishing on a designated day is the strange part that is, not the idea of recognizing the mother's importance in life.

I would imagine that mothers were way up high in pretty much every culture's list of important people, and the old country emphasized it in so many different ways.  A long, long time ago, we learnt a verse in the Sanskrit class in high school:
राजपत्नी गुरोः पत्नी मित्रपत्नी तथैव च
पत्नीमाता स्वमाता च पञ्चैता मातरः स्मृताः
- चाणक्य नीति

Transliteration:
raajapatnI guroH patnI mitrapatnI tathaiva cha
patnImaataa svamaataa cha pa~nchaitaa maataraH smRutaaH
- chaaNakya nIti


Meaning of the subhAShita:
The king's wife, the teacher's wife, friend's wife, wife's mother and his own birth mother - these 5 should be deemed as mother figures
The source from where I copied and pasted it has a commentary on the deeper meanings of this verse.

I have had an incredibly lucky life with wonderful motherly women.  As I noted in this post, my mother, grandmothers, and aunts, made sure that my life was sweet--literally as well.  Older friends here in the US sometimes treat me as their son.  Life can't be that bad then.

Incidentally, another verse advises to keep mothers, fathers, and teachers also happy.  I hope students in my classes are reading this post ;)  It is from Manusmriti--the Laws of Manu--which is about 2,000 to 2,500 years old.  Manu wrote:
तयोर्नित्यं प्रियं कुर्यात् आचार्यस्य च सर्वदा ।
तेष्वेव त्रिषु तुष्टेषु तपः सर्वं समाप्यते ॥
- मनुस्मृति
One must do all he can to keep his parents and teacher happy. 
If they are satisfied it is equivalent to any (all) penance.
- Manu Smriti
It has been thirty-plus years since my last Sanskrit class.  It has at least served one purpose--I continue to remember and value the verse on the five mothers.


3 comments:

Mike Thissell said...

Good proverb. Thank you for sharing.

I do think you are a good professor.

Ramesh said...

Pattabiraman would be touched beyond measure if he saw your post !

@Mike - Delighted to see your engaged and rational debate in the previous post. I have often felt Sriram's ideas deserve exactly that sort of debate , even if there is heavy disagreement. Your style of a logical articulation without any of the shrillness that often characterises online interactions is refreshing and I hope you'll continue to debate matters that interest you. And once in a while we DO have to give Sriram a kick :):):)

Sriram Khé said...

Yes, Pattabhiraman will be impressed that I remember this much ... whenever he got frustrated with the class that we were not getting it,, which was quite often, his favorite expression was this: "you tell a dog, "jimmy, jump into the car" and it will easily do it. I ask you to do something and you can't follow the instructions!" ;)
But, Ramesh, don't give Mike here the wrong ideas ;)

Thanks, Mike