Friday, October 14, 2011

My doctor treats me with ... flattery! :)

I am not unlike most people in delaying going to the doctor as much as possible.  But, eventually, I do.

It is not that I don't like my doctor--in fact, if it were not for him, I would have delayed the visit even more.  "Dr. H." is an older guy, knows his craft and, more importantly, engages me in conversations like how family medicine doctors of the old days did.

So, there I was in the tiny office and the nurse finished taking my vitals.  (All healthy, thank you very much!)  Dr. H. came in and, like always, extended his hand and asked how I was.

"You are the doctor. You tell me" I replied.  I described to him the annoying reason for the visit.

Even as he was examining me, he asked "what do you think about that guy Fareed Zakaria?"

This is what I mean as he always engages me in conversations.  Not some inane stuff about the weather or, heaven forbid, about the local sports team.

"He is very sharp" I replied.  And then asked him "you ask me this because ....?"

"I watch his program.  He had Tom Friedman as his guest and they were talking about his latest book."

I didn't want to tell him that it has been a while since I gave Friedman any serious thought.  "I don't get cable at home" I replied.

While getting up to leave, he added "the entire discussion about the state of the country and the world was so depressing that I was ready to commit suicide."

He paused and said "I will be right back."

When he returned after about three minutes, a much younger physician came along.  Even before I could begin to worry on the need for a second opinion, Dr. H. said, "this is a medical student and she will be observing."

We introduced ourselves and Dr. H. told the student, "he is a university professor."  He then asked me "do you give pre-med students a hard time?"

We laughed.

Dr. H. wanted the student also to examine the problem that was the reason for all this.  I was so thankful that the problem was not anywhere below the waist!

Meanwhile, Dr. H. was back to Zakaria.

"Yes, he has a Ph.D. from one of those Ivy League schools" I added.  And then for a good measure "he is a good looking fellow as well, which helps with the TV aspect." 

Dr. H. explained to me how we were going to address my medical issue.  And the conversation continued. "There was that doctor who was in town--Vargas or something. He is also Indian."

"You mean Abraham Verghese?  Really?  He was in town?" I didn't know.

Dr. H. nodded, and asked the student if she has read Cutting for Stone.  She gave a non-committal answer.

Dr. H. said, "Verghese is a very smart guy."

"Hey, all of us from India are smart" I replied.

"Smart.  And good looking" responded Dr. H.looking at me.

I looked at the medical student and said "see, this is why I come to get checked by Dr. H."

She completed the idea: "Yes, he treats you and flatters you."

I will take such a treatment protocol any day.

Of course, I have to take those tablets as well.  But, first, I need to pick them up from the pharmacy.  I wonder if the pharmacist too will flatter me!

No comments: