Monday, October 03, 2011

I wrote an op-ed and ... one reader wants to deport me :)

So, it was one quick turnaround from the time I submitted my op-ed essay to its publication in the paper.  I knew fully well that the topic would generate discussions at the newspaper's site and, hopefully, amongst my colleagues too.

I have no idea about the colleagues, but reviewing the comments at the newspaper's site, I came across this, from a reader whose ID there is SchizNick::
All this article makes me wonder about is why are we letting foreign students into this country to get educated and then we are letting them stay after they have gotten their higher degree? Shouldn't Sriram Khe maybe be fighting the injustices in his country instead of trying to cause them in this country? Am I the only one who sees an injustice in allowing some guy from a foriegn country come here , carve out a living most likely at taxpayer expense and then trying to deny a living to those who were born here?
As I kid around with my students, you can say "get back to where you once belonged" but it has been years since I was naturalized as a citizen :)

Another reader there is disappointed with the nature of the debate, or rather the lack of it:
Many of the previous responses are exactly what is wrong with our political discourse. Rather than challenge the ideas, we attack the person with the ideas. The writer is a geography professor, therefore he has no valid opinion of public education? Does that mean that anyone not serving in a war can have no opinion on military action? No one having not experienced cancer can have an opinion on cancer research funding? This is the definition of small mindedness.

Mr. Khe proposes a provocative idea that challenges our preconceived ideas. Not only does he do this, but he does it while being employed at an institution that has a vested interest in keeping the status quo.

His is a courageous position given current dogma and where Mr. Khe works. You may disagree. Attack the idea, vigorously if you will, not the person. Unless of course you are in fact afraid of debate and wish to stifle it for fear of the weakness in your own position.
Well, the reader might be even more disappointed then with the lack of substantive debates and discussions within the academic walls.

Another reader remarks:
Does the author of this editorial have a Master's degree? My intuition is no. Sour grapes, maybe?
Seriously?

Here is the ultimate for me: even though the tag-line gave readers the email address to contact me, not a single email. I wonder if it is also because it is easier to hide behind nicknames and be "anonymous" than it is to step up, identify oneself, and engage in debates?

No comments: