Sunday, July 24, 2011

Shut up and sign the fucking form!

A couple of years ago, dad was surprised when I briefly mentioned to him that I had to deal with a lot of crap at work because I was not a member of the union.  (For the record, I have never been a member of any union.)

He didn't seem to worry that much that my professional life was being screwed because of this refusal on my part to carry the card and embrace the "comrades."  But then I had spared him the gory details anyway.

Dad's only response was "college professors have unions in America?"

I laughed, and left it at that.

It wasn't until my third year, by when I had already been tenured (thankfully,) that the union's membership VP walked into my office with a bunch of papers.

"Sriram, we didn't realize you hadn't signed up" he said in his usual loud voice.  "I have the form here for you."

I thanked him and refused.

He said that all the rest of the Division faculty were members.

I acknowledged that information.  But, was firm and made it clear that I didn't want to join the union.

I suppose that was the day all hell broke loose, and life has not been the same since then!

So, why write about that seven years later?

I was flicking through the channels on the telly, and watched a few minutes of John Candy and Eugene Levy in "Armed and Dangerous."  The scene I watched was hilarious.  You will see why that scene, which I have embedded here, reminded me of this incident from seven years ago!  "Shut up" indeed!

No comments: