Thursday, July 28, 2011

On the sight of a young woman crying ...

I walked up to the express checkout lane at the local grocery store where I have shopped ever since the move to Eugene.  As I prepared myself for the casual chit-chat that has become my habit--a very American trait, I think--I was caught flatfooted by what I saw: one young female cashier was consoling another who was uncontrollably sobbing.

I have known them both from the checkout hellos over the past few years.  The one who was crying is a final year student at the university here--again, a very American thing to juggle quite a few balls at a young age, unlike me who was nothing but a loafer when I was an undergrad back in India. An energetic and eager young woman she always was.

Life is awful in that it makes sufferers even out of cheerful youth.  The young are supposed to be happy, and the old draw strength from that.  It becomes a rotten life when otherwise.

With tears flowing, she returned to her checkout counter, while the young woman at my lane said hi to me and started scanning my purchases.

I walked over to the crying girl and said "I am sorry it didn't turn out well."

That was the best I could do.  I have no idea what the "it" was and that doesn't matter to me either.

Through her red and watery eyes, and even as she got ready for another shopper in her lane, she said "thanks."

I returned to the counter where by then the other cashier had finished tallying up my bill.

"I have never seen her with anything but a cheerful appearance.  This is so sad" I told her.

"Yes" she replied.

I paid and left.

This was five days ago, and I have not been able to get over this.  I was at the store yesterday and no sign of that young clerk.  I am hoping it was her day off and not anything else.

No comments: