Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The middle way. And just right. Life isn't a bore then?

In response to a dear ol' friend, I said I led/lead a dull and boring life.

But, I wonder if that is an incorrect statement.

For instance,
My students, who are always impressed that I have been to all the continents, except Antarctica, would not agree that my life is boring.
My lunch earlier this afternoon was far from boring--grilled ciabatta bread sandwich with pepperjack cheese, onions, and black-pepper salami; banana; roasted and salted cashews; and coffee. I made the sandwich at home.  How can this be boring? 
As I was driving to work, it was a fantastic blue sky, with puffy white and dark clouds, and the Sun was shining brightly, with a gentle breeze blowing.  Far, far, from boring.
Maybe some times it merely feels like a boring life, when I forget to sense and understand the gloriously joyous and wonderful life all around?

The television program on PBS reminded me about this teaching from the Buddha:
Fair goes the dancing when the Sitar is tuned.

Tune us the Sitar neither high nor low,
And we will dance away the hearts of men.

But the string too tight breaks, and the music dies.
The string too slack has no sound, and the music dies.

There is a middle way.

Tune us the Sitar neither low nor high.
And we will dance away the hearts of men.
Yes, indeed, that middle way. When things are just right so that our hearts will sing and dance.  Easier said than done, buddy, er, Buddha ...

Speaking of the sitar, here is a part of Ravi Shankar's famous 1967 concert at the Monterey music festival



Ravi Shankar and the sitar always reminds me of : "Within you, without you" by the Beatles

But then, I am a mortal, and there are moments when I say, "it's a bore"

No comments: