Sunday, September 28, 2008

When two clueless politicos meet!

As a kid, I remember how a few politicians in other countries caught my attention. Moshe Dayan, Zulfikhar Ali Bhutto, Olaf Palme, to name a few. Bhutto, in particular, because I believed that he was the only hope we had in bringing about peace between India and Pakistan. So, it was interesting to read in Time that:
Pakistanis are fond of recalling an apocryphal 1963 exchange between John F. Kennedy and Zulfikar Ali Bhutto — father of slain prime minister Benazir, to whom Zardari was married. Impressed by the then Foreign Minister, who would become prime minister before being deposed by a U.S.-backed military dictator in 1977 and later executed, Kennedy is alleged to have said: "If you were an American you would be in my cabinet." Bhutto is alleged to have answered, "Be careful Mr President, if I were an American, you would be in my cabinet."
Well, those were the old days, when politicians knew what they were up to, and up against. And, smart enough for repartees. What a pathetic contrast to that is the following from the same Time story (Note: it is all the more awful because Zardari has a playboy reputation!)
What Zardari said after shaking Palin's hand will likely prove a great deal less memorable. "You are more gorgeous than you are on [television]," he told Palin after she declared she was honored to meet him. "Now I know why the whole of America is crazy about you," Zardari added, flashing his trademark teeth-baring smile.
At this point, the two were urged to shake hands again, presumably for the benefit of the cameras. "I'm supposed to pose again," Palin said quietly. Pointing toward the aide that prompted them, Zardari said, "If he's insisting, I might hug."

No comments: