Sunday, February 02, 2014

Where have all the flowers gone?

"You look like a guy who buys flowers and arranges them himself" the florist said when I was scanning the shelves.

"I don't know about the arranging part, but, yes, I like to put them together in my own way" I replied.

To me, putting together the flowers that I buy is like the cooking that I do.  I put together the ingredients, and it might not be anything that formally trained people do, but I have fun with it. I like how the food turns out. Arranging flowers is no different.  And, I get that personal satisfaction of , "hey, I did this!"

She gave me a couple of suggestions and walked back to her counter, and I continued with staring the flowers. I was, yet again, amazed at how much I don't know. I didn't know the names of most of the flowers there. There were a couple of them that I was not sure whether they were even flowers at all--they were green!  Yet, in the classroom, I pretend that I know stuff, and get paid for that!

I asked the florist about the green thingies, and she told me what they are called.  I have already forgotten the names of those green thingies; I suppose that's how students are in my classes, too, eh!

"Hi there, neighbor" a voice said. "Are the flowers for a special friend?" she asked with a smile and twinkling eyes.

I hadn't talked with her for a while--in the cold and wet months, we neighbors are mostly strangers to each other. When the colors of the landsccaped and wild flowers burst upon us in the April spring, we too pop out of our homes and stay out and about, until the leaves turn red and brown and fall on the ground in November.

"Yes, but it is a sad thing. A friend who is not well." I quickly recapped the story.

"Those are tough. At my age, I shudder at those thoughts" she said.  Understandable--she is more than two decades older than me.

"But, we have to do them.  Your friend will appreciate it" she continued.

"Hey, what are you doing for lunch today?" I asked her.

"My daughter is coming over."

"Ok, we'll have lunch at my place sometime the week after" I told her.

"Oh, I would love that. Make your cauliflower dish; I like that one."

I reached the counter with the rest of the groceries in the cart. It was one of my favorite chatty clerks.

"Ooooh, is somebody in trouble, or what!" she laughed.

"I look like I am always in trouble, eh."

"You men always get into trouble" she laughed some more.

"Or, maybe he is doing the right thing" said the woman behind me in the line.

"Exactly, think positively that I am doing the right thing" I said.

Knowing enough about small talk means that we should also know when not to get into details. I gave no hints about how the flowers were to cheer up a friend.

Isn't not getting into details also the case when we ask people, "how are you?"  In their lives, too, friends could be unwell. Maybe someone close to them died recently. Or, the pet dog is sick.  Or they got fired from their job. But, they mask it all and reply with a smile "good. How are you?"

Rarely do we tell all.  Sometimes a tad and, more often than not, we don't reveal anything about our own tragedies. Because, we innately realize that everybody has problems. We somehow manage and cope and survive.

And we know that flowers help.  Even when not the best arrangement ever.


7 comments:

Prats said...

Beautiful arrangement Sir. I have always admired your way of small talk makes for a nice and positive read.

Ramesh said...

Repeat 1008 times

I will not forget the name of the green thingie
I will not forget the name of the green thingie
......
......

One of these days when you ask How are you, I am going to reply

"I am allright I think
My haemoglobin count is 12.8
My blog post had only 123 page views today
I had a big breakfast and I think I am going to skip lunch
The coffee was just right today morning
The newspaper boy was late as always

....
....

And I know that you are just fine " :):):)

Sriram Khé said...

Thanks, Prateek.

Ramesh, won't that be hysterically funny if you replied that way when you are asked somewhere, "how are you?" Try it on somebody and let us know what the reactions were ...

The good thing in having Google at fingertip means that I can focus on the big picture of life and always track down those finer details later when needed ... like the name of the green thingy, which Wikipedia notes is:
"Moluccella laevis (Bells-of-Ireland, Bells of Ireland, Molucca balmis, Shellflower, Shell flower) is a summer flowering annual, native to Turkey, Syria and the Caucasus. It is cultivated for its spikes of flowers. In the language of flowers, it represents luck."

In any case, will repeat Moluccella laevis a few times, though nowhere near the 1008 ;)

Ramana said...

The flowers are with me and I like the green thingie too :->

Shachi said...

Beautiful arrangement.

With family and close ones, I prefer not to ask (or be asked) standard questions like "how are you?". I prefer more specific questions which will instantly strike an emotional note between the two people involved and result in an engaging conversation. I am still practicing this, but it's already working wonders. Husband loves it. Kids do too.

Sriram Khé said...

Oh hi Ramana.

I agree with your logic there, Shachi, on specific inquiries with people we know. I can easily imagine that approach sparking a lively, and a genuine, conversation at your home.

Kumar Sambandan said...

Just had a similar "flower" experience this week, totally unplanned! Gave a boquet to an elderly couple Jim and Vali who took me under my wings when I moved to Michigan. Did not do any big creative arrangement as you did Sriram: mine was just bought and given. Jim, who turned 81, and getting ready for a surgery to replace his pace-maker and who always joking about being alive every day. He recalled how he has lately stopped giving flowers to Vali, who he married 60+ years ago, on their anniversary! Seeing how happy Vali was with the flowers, the ever upbeat guy that Jim is, he resolved to resume that tradition from his next anniversary! It was wonderful to see the love in their eyes after 60+ years! Never realized that magic flowers had...