Sunday, February 09, 2014

Bird-brained they might be. Valuable lesson they taught.



Finally, the icy grip loosened. There is plenty of ice all around, yes, but, it was just about warm enough for the melt to begin. People in the neighborhood poked their heads out. I drove up to the grocery store.

A simple act of going grocery shopping. But, what a pleasure it was to stir out of the home, and see people out and about. We smiled at each other--I think we were all subliminally giving that same message of "am I happy to get back to my regular life!"  I suppose it is always thus in life--we never know how good we have until there is a major disruption that forced us to re-evaluate our priorities.  But then, soon we forget those lessons. Aren't we humans the ones that are bird-brained?

I walked past an open checkout counter in order to chat with one of my favorite clerks. She gave me a big smile even before she was done with the customer.

"Things went well with the ice and snow?" I asked her as I moved up to the head of the line.  "I remember you have a long drive to work."

"Yes. But, Friday night was treacherous.  The wipers also stopped working and I could barely see anything out in front.  But I made it back home."

See, right there is a major difference between her employment and mine. Thursday and Friday the campus shut down. But, we get paid anyway.  In her case, I would think that she would have lost wages if she had not reported to work. I was worried that she would turn around and ask me about my drive to work.

Well, she is a good conversationalist and she asked me about my work and the drive.

I flubbed the answer. And cut away to something else.

I returned home and restocked the pantry. Across the window, I noticed that the yard was full of robins. Not crowded enough for me to worry that I had been cast in the remake of Hitchock's Birds. Perhaps more than twenty of them.  For a reason--the ice and snow that were so freakishly unusual had messed up the birds' food sources. I think the couple of robins that visited with me yesterday had spread the word among the robins in the area that perhaps the orangish berry like thingys in my backyard were their only food.



And so they came.


I didn't know what else I could offer these desperate visitors. The only nuts I had--cashews--were salted. I didn't want to offer them chips. Perhaps the multi-grain bread?  I tore up a slice into tiny pieces and tossed them into the snow. The robins didn't even bother to check them out, and they kept going after those berries.

Here is the strangest thing: in all these years that I have lived here, never once have I seen any bird eat them. It was clear that these birds were so starved for food that they were ready to eat these brightly colored ones.  The last time I checked the plant, it looked like they had striped away all the orange and only the green remained. That's ok.

After meeting with the grocery clerk, and after watching the birds, you think I will complain about my life?

You betcha!

I will in a few days. Because, like most of us, I am bird-brained!

I will leave you with this from the old country:
शोकस्थानसहस्राणि दुःखस्थानशतानि च ।
दिवसे दिवसे मूढमाविशन्ति न पण्डितम् ॥
- महाभारत, अरण्य

Everyday there are thousand reasons to feel sad, hundred reasons to worry.
Such things only bother fools; not wise men.
Mahabharata, Aranya

4 comments:

Ramesh said...

Stop being lazy, get off your backside Khé and clear the driveway :):)

My sides are heaving at the thought of you trying to offer organic, home baked, nutritious, fair trade, fat free, low sugar, whole grain bread to the robins !!!!! You should have offered them worms. If there was a slight difficulty in finding them put out apple slices or raisins - stop forcing them to eat those awful tasting yellow thingies :):)

If we don't forget the tough times and move on, we'll all become neurotic cases. So happy to be bird brained.

Sriram Khé said...

hehehe .... you should have seen me yesterday when i was clearing the sidewalk with a snow shovel that i borrowed from my neighbor ;)

yes,a wonderful way to avoid neurosis. perhaps there is an evolutionary design element that makes sure we forget the tough times and the lessons.

btw, the latest issue of the scientific american has a piece that argues that chicken are not dumb as we have always have thought them to be ... i guess with brains, too, it is not the size that matters but what one does with it .... hehehe ;)

Shachi said...

We finally had a few days of rain....its been gloomy the past week but this shrub in the front yard has such lovely red berries...as I drive out n about, I love the pop of color it brings to all the grey around.

I really enjoy yours and Ramesh's playful banter - pure delight...always bring a smile on my face :)!

Sriram Khé said...

Indeed, Ramesh makes it seem like he and I are sitting across from each other at our favorite cafe. I imagine a daily ritual of sorts of a redhead-waitress leading us to our regular table, and getting us the same stuff even without us ordering it. So predictable we have become ... except that he doesn't joke much about redheads--perhaps because there aren't natural redheads in India ;)

Yes, we all need that rain. a little bit of rain and so much life comes back in the Central Valley, right? A long way to go for you folks though before you can take long showers! Back when I was new in this country, there was a water shortage in CA and many cities banned lawn watering, for instance. In places like Santa Barbara, people couldn't bear the thought of a dry, brown yard and had their yards painted lawn green ... If the rain fails, I bet plenty of cities will ban lawn watering, car wash, ... time for some rain dancing ;)