Tuesday, February 11, 2014

If no incoming fire, you are bombing the wrong place

It all started with a tweet. A short one in my Twitter feed.

I haven't read that book, but remembered that it created a controversy in India and that there was pushback from nationalistic and Hindutva groups.

So, I then did a quick search to see if the author might have said anything about it.  There was nothing, but I came across a recent interview with her, which I watched. I then tweeted a response:

Apparently this was not a case of a tree falling in the forest and nobody hearing the sound it did, or did not, make:
It always amazes me that those who want to deny the freedom of expression and inquiry often do that with discourteous language too.  Not that I care for their courtesy while shutting me up!

Some random Twitter user is not going to scare me.  As a first step, I let "Teja" know that this "Stupidest fuck" read the tweet by ... well, I retweeted it!

The WSJ reports on this decision by Penguin:
One of India’s largest publishing houses has agreed to withdraw and pulp all copies of a 2009 book written by a leading scholar of Hinduism that reinterprets the history of the ancient religion. Penguin Books India Pvt. Ltd complied with an agreement drawn up by a court in Delhi on Monday to recall and withdraw all copies of “The Hindus: An Alternative History” by Wendy Doniger, a professor of the history of religions at the University of Chicago, and cease to publish or sell it in India. 
In that same report, the WSJ reminds us that this is not the first instance of a book being banned in India. What a shame!

The paper also notes this:
A review of the book, published in the Journal in 2009 said that Ms. Doniger had succeeded in “making modern sense of the texts and tales of Hindu society, as well as of the rituals and symbols of the Hindu people.” 
At the end of it all, I figured that the best thing I can do is to buy a copy of this banned book, and read it over the next couple of months. "Teja" and his buddies will be delighted that their work has catalyzed me into buying the very book they have successfully banned in India.


As for the title of this post, I heard something along those very words in an NPR segment--I wish I remembered when it was for me to zoom into it and attribute the source.

Update: I should have known that some of the commentators I pay attention to will have something to say ... here is Shikha Dalmia:
[Her] aim in writing the book was to save Hinduism from misinterpretations of both hostile alien interlocutors and nativist Hindutva boosters.
Here is a flavor of the book from a review by Daily Beast columnist Tunku Vardarajan, former Newsweek international editor:
A religion without a central church or pontiff — and with no predominant sacred place (a la Mecca) -- Hinduism has spawned hundreds of competing devotional sects and theological strains. Ms. Doniger does a deft job of tracing their few unifying tenets — those of karma (actions) and dharma (righteousness) and a merit-based afterlife and of holding these beliefs up to critical examination against the obvious injustices of the caste system. Her most beguiling chapters, though, are the ones in which she examines the impact on the Hindus of India's numerous foreign invaders -- from the earliest "Aryans" in the second millennium B.C. to the imperial British, the last and perhaps greatest external shapers of Hindu society.
Am all the happier that I purchased the book. The paperback. I prefer the old style, when it comes to books.  As Dalmia notes:
The silver lining in all this, as Doniger told England-based Salil Tripathi last night, is that in the age of Internet, Penguin can’t actually ban the book. “Anyone with a computer can get the Kindle edition from Penguin, NY, and it’s probably cheaper, too.”
So go for it dear readers. It’s for a good cause.
Yes, buy it.

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

The only result of all this hullaballoo would be that a few more people will buy Wendy Doniger's book than would have otherwise - I hadn't heard of this book until I saw a newspaper article today.

I am always amazed by the guys protesting. Most of them, I am sure, would not have read the book against which they are protesting. They are not even sure what they are protesting about.

A far more sensible approach, for whoever has been angered by the book, would be to repudiate with sane , reasoned arguments. Wouldn't that be far more effective in trashing the book than a court order or a ban . But that will require some thinking and reasoning, which might be difficult concepts for this lot to achieve.

Sriram Khé said...

Yep, I bet most of them heard from somebody the "horrible" things the book has about Hinduism ... and that somebody heard from some "authoritative" source ... which could turn out to be some creepy website! But, protest we shall because, dammit, nobody should be allowed to say anything that is even remotely negative about Hinduism, even if that negative happens to be, well, true!
Perhaps you watched the interview with Doniger ... It was so neat to listen to her talk, especially about how she likes the concept of vanaprastha in the different stages of life, and that she doesn't think she will get to the next stage of sanyasa. I bet the morons who are protesting don't have a clue about the different ashramas!
Oh well ... such is life ...