Thursday, February 20, 2014

Maidan. A word. Many countries. Many memories.

Back when I was a kid--in the old prehistoric days when even having a phone, a landline that is, was rare, the மைதானம்  (maidan) was my source of entertainment in more ways than one.  The odd cricket games that I have played there were fun because I was part of a group, and the memories were not because I made any significant contribution with the ball, or the bat, or on the field--after all, I sucked then, and suck now, in sports.  But, hey, our fond memories are not always because we were the star attraction, are they!

The maidan near our home was even more entertaining for me because of the political rallies that were held there. With no television or video games or any of the modern ways in which we amuse ourselves, and with my natural attraction to the political theater, I had more than my fill of the dramatic entertainment from the maidan. I chuckle even now as I recall the local politicians issuing threats to Reagan, who had become the president towards the final months of my existence in that small town. The American MGR, as they referred to him sometimes.

If I had been asked about the word "maidan"--then, or even until a few weeks ago--I would have replied that it is an Indian usage for an open space, like a playground or a meeting space. And you would have laughed at my ignorance and would have pointed out that it might be a word that is used in India, but it has its origins elsewhere.  So, I will save you the trouble and admit to be being an ignoramus.  And also tell you how I found this out.  I tell ya, every day is a revelation of what a remarkable idiot I am!

A few weeks ago, as the situation in Ukraine started worsening, our local newspaper featured an op-ed by one with extensive Ukrainian connections. A friend followed that up with an email that included plenty of photographs as well.  In all these, I noticed the word  "Maidan" being used for what was always referred to in the news as Independence Square.

The usage of maidan in Ukraine intrigued me.  As with anything, from the silly to the profound, Google came to my rescue.  And Wikipedia informed me that "in most cases derived from the Arabic term for "square."

So, a word derived from the Arabic was the one we had been using even in my part of the old country, and the word was also being used in Ukraine.  How awesome is that!  Kiev's Independence Square is Maidan Nezalezhnosti:
Since the start of Ukraine's independence movement in 1990, the square has been the traditional place for political rallies, including for large-scale radical protest campaigns: the 1989 student "Revolution on Granite", the 2001 "Ukraine without Kuchma", the 2004 Orange Revolution, and the ongoing Euromaidan.[2] Besides, the Maidan is a traditional point for several non-political events such as the city's Christmas Tree and the various festivities annually held on the Ukraine Independence Day and Kiev City Day.
I wish that news reports didn't use the translated name of Independence Square and instead reported about the events at Maidan Nezalezhnosti.  

Ukraine flashed on my radar back in those prehistoric days in the old country when I, like many in my cohort, read The Odessa File.  (The idiot I have always been, I first thought it was all about the Nazis in Ukraine!)  Years later, my friend went to study in the Soviet Union, and I have a vague memory of one his letters, which were always lengthy, describing his visit to the Black Sea one summer and noting that the Ukrainian girls were pretty. (No, he is not married to an Ukrainian; his wife is Czech!)

A couple of years ago, when a friend brought over a visiting Ukrainian to have dinner at my place, I showed her the gift that my friend gave me when I was in the final stages of the undergraduate program.  She confirmed that it was, indeed, Ukrainian. 


Another good friend from my graduate school days, who died a few years ago, was married to an Ukrainian--he was from Iran. A few years ago, I had a student with parents who were from the old USSR, and one parent was an Ukrainian. Another student not only had Ukrainian roots, but her great-granndparents had even spent a few years in Hyderabad--yes, in India--as they fled one of the many chaotic upheavals in Ukraine.

Back when I was playing in the maidan near home, I would never have imagined so many connections with a country that I have never visited. Yet, here I am. And trying to keep up with the developments in Ukraine because, well, it is kind of personal and not merely intellectual an interest.

We will wish for peace in the maidan in Kiev and throughout Ukraine.  

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Oh Right. Is that where maidan was derived from ??

Ukraine is sad. Hopefully the upheavals will cease soon. The issue is complex though - can it really move away from the umbrella of Russia ??

Sriram Khé said...

how crazy, right, that we used the word maidan right from our young days and it turns out to have a fabulous global history of its own!