Saturday, September 08, 2012

Remembrance of things past: My first Malayalam song

Way back in the 1970s, whenever we visited Madras, as Chennai was known then, we almost always stayed with mother's uncle and his family.  The tiny home was in a part of Madras that was practically next door to the area where movie-making activities where clustered.

Without fail, somebody or the other would point a home that was a metaphorical stone throw away from the uncle's home and say, "Sharada lives in that house."  Yes, the movie actor Sharada. I would then eagerly look at the house, hoping to catch a sight of her, but never, ever did.  Almost round the corner from her place, I was told, was the singer, SP Balasubramanian's.  I never saw SPB either.

Some time then was when I saw my first Malayalam movie, which was also the first movie that I watched that starred Sharada.  "Triveni" was the movie, which, come to think of it, was perhaps one I watched at the local Park Club in Neyveli.

Anyway, after all those years, I remember all too well the song from that movie that I tracked down:



Later in life, with the dawn of the television era, I watched a few movies of Sharada's--the "arty" ones that Doordharshan telecast every once in a while.  I looked forward to those, which were always subtitled making it easier for people like me to follow along.

The best one of them all was a wonderful movie by Adoor Gopalakrishnan.  Google helped me tracking that down: Elippathayam.  I am so glad that one of my favorite scenes from there is on YouTube:



Quite a few years have gone by since all these.  It is ten years since that uncle died.  My last trip to Chennai, I took a detour via that place when going somewhere else.  It has gone through such a transformation that there is nothing that I can identify from the old days.

Those were the days, my friend!

No comments: