Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rock of Ages is a reminder that the 1980s music was not bad!

"$1.25" the young woman at the box office said, as she lifted her head from the book that she was reading when I asked for one ticket to Rock of Ages.

I thought I misheard her.  It can't be $1.25!  "Say that again"

"$1.25" she said in a rather bored and tired voice while her jaws worked the chewing gum.

Hey, the greenback is still worth something, after all!

It was more than twenty minutes to movie time when I entered the theater.  There was nobody else.  I mean, nobody.  I consciously chose a seat from where I had a good view of the door--so that I could run for my life in case any nutcase walked in.  And, of course, the cellphone was ready in my hands.

Ten minutes later, two older women walked in.  I eased into my seat and relaxed.  The cellphone went into my pocket.

One of the women looked like she was in her late sixties, or even early seventies.  And she was here for a movie about music from the 1980s?

A few more people came in, and soon it was show time.

Watching the movie was like watching MTV back in the 1980s--it was pretty much a collection of music videos, but I had no complaints.  Though, I would have preferred a little bit more of a story line than what was there--at least to the extent that Mamma Mia attempted, while channeling Abba.



As much as I like "Don't stop believin'," which is a central piece to the movie, even better is the optimistic one from Fleetwood Mac, which is not in the film--after all, the Fleetwood Mac song is not from the 1980s.



This particular version is especially awesome because of the Trojan marching band playing with the group, but then I could be biased :)

The two "don't stop" songs are reminder of music without autotune and the industrial and robotic music manufactured these days.  Whenever there is a "live performance" on TV, most of the contemporary pop artists fall so flat in their abilities to sing, without all that autotuning.  One of the few things that I hate with the technological advancements, I suppose.

But, hey, don't stop believin' ...

No comments: