Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Remembrance of things past: Thumko mujse pyaar hai

I read the news today, oh boy, that Rajesh Khanna is no more.

There are very few movies of his that I have ever watched.  Growing up in India, I was never a big fan of the formulaic masala plots that were rehashed over and over in all the movies, across the languages.  On top of that, Hindi was unfamiliar to me.  And Khanna or Sharmila Tagore didn't resonate with me either (Hema Malini was a different story, though.) 

But, I do recall watching Aradhana.

I was way young a kid when the movie came out, and the songs were a big hit.  There is a fair chance that the Aradhana songs were the first ever Hindi film songs that I knew.  Over the years, I have come to appreciate the music even more--the quality of the melodies being awesome should be no surprise at all, given that they were SD Burman's creations.

I particularly like the playfulness in the lyrics and the melody in the following one:



The following one, however, is the song that I like the best from the movie.  Yes, way more than "Kora kagaz" or  "Roop thera mastana"

No comments: