Monday, April 02, 2012

On that suspicious looking (black) guy ...


Honestly, I have no idea how a black feels day in and day out ... I can only imagine that it ain't always fun.

On a very, very, small scale, the only way I think I can even begin to understand how the skin color and other differences could be viewed as off the norm is whenever I return to the US. 

It has been a different country the past few years, ever since Homeland Security became a monster organization.  The immigration officers ask a whole lot of questions when I am at their counters for processing.  Almost always, I don't get a green light at customs and am directed to go through additional checks.  When the lighter skinned people ahead of me and behind me don't face this, which is a consistent pattern, then I am left with a working hypothesis that my appearance and accent and everything else is viewed with suspicion. 

The conversation with the immigration official, during the latest instance, went something like this:
"How ya doin?"
"Fine, thanks. How are you?"
"Good. What countries did you visit while you were away?"
"Only India"
"How long were you gone?"
"For about three months"
"What did you do in India for three months?"
"Meeting with friends and family. And a whole lot of traveling"
"What work do you do for you to take off for three months?"
"I teach at a university"
"Where do you teach?"
"In Oregon?"
"What subject do you teach?"
"Economic geography"
"Where is your Indian visa?"
"Oh, sorry, it is in my passport that expired. This is a new passport. Here it is"
"Welcome home"
"Thanks"
In the years before Homeland Security, it was merely a quick scan of the documents with a friendly attitude and a parting "welcome home."  Now, it is often the case that I have to deal with so many questions, while it always seems to be the old-style quick processing for the lighter skinned travelers.

And then off to the customs. I hand the customs declaration form, and the officer does not wave me through.  Instead, I have to go through another process.  After scanning my suitcases and carry-on, the officer there asked me, "what do you have in here?"

I was so tempted to tell him that after he scanned it, he ought to have known what was in!  But, no point being smarty-mouthed in these contexts, right?  So, I politely said, "clothes, books, and gifts." 

"What kind of gifts?"

I hid my pissed-off feeling and replied "wood carvings, brass items"

He flagged me through and I was off wondering what the point was!

1 comment:

Ramesh said...

Ahhh - you can't even begin to understand the problems non citizens face. Its not just the US of A. Travelling to any country virtually. As an Indian passport holder, when I did all that crazy travel, I knew how Indians are treated. We were treated like that long before the terrorist threats started to happen. I've learnt monumental patience and an ability to take racial bias in my stride, thanks to the travel.