Sunday, January 09, 2011

Poem for today: "Spellbound" by Emily Brontë

The neighboring roofs are all frosted.  We are getting deeper into winter, and weather forecasts suggest that if the conditions are right, we might get a sprinkling of snow.  Because snow is rare in this part of the world, we make a big deal of it when it happens, much to the amusement of those who live in snow country.  Within a couple of minutes of snow falling, we also begin to complain about the problems it creates.

It is all a reflection of how much we are impressed by the forces of nature.  Robert Frost famously wrote about stopping by the woods on a snowy evening.  Expressing similar emotions is Emily Brontë in her poem:
Spellbound  by Emily Brontë

The night is darkening round me,
The wild winds coldly blow;
But a tyrant spell has bound me
And I cannot, cannot go.

The giant trees are bending
Their bare boughs weighed with snow.
And the storm is fast descending,
And yet I cannot go.

Clouds beyond clouds above me,
Wastes beyond wastes below;
But nothing dear can move me;
I will not, cannot go.
Of course, Brontë preceded Frost by more than a hundred years.  I bet even a few hundred years ago, humans--poets and otherwise--found themselves spellbound by nature, and then forced themselves to keep moving because of the various promises to keep.

No comments: