Thursday, January 13, 2011

"It is a ponzi scheme"--universities, that is

I have been blogging about this for such a long time that I might as well yawn away at such reports:
The United States' educational and research pre-eminence is being undermined, and some of the chief underminers are universities themselves, according to articles this week in Science and Nature magazines.
Universities are aggressively seeking federal dollars to build bigger and fancier laboratory facilities, and are not paying an equal amount of attention to teaching and nurturing the students who would fill them, scientists say in the articles.
"It's a Ponzi scheme," said Kenneth G. Mann, a professor of biochemistry at the University of Vermont, whose concerns were described by Nature. "Eventually you'll have a situation where you're not even producing the feedstock into the system."
If only people listened to me; but, not only do they not listen to me, they believe I am incompetent.  The university president says I am not fit even to be an Assistant Professor, and the faculty union presidents ruled that I don't have a right to opinions.  Wait a minute, the fact that these otherwise opposing camps are united means that, aha, I am right :)
The health of universities, and the overall U.S. economy, depends on finding that right balance, he said. "There's a real risk at the present time to have a system that's not stable."
Yep :(

No comments: