Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Where the deer and the antelope play ...

How could I not enjoy the drive to campus on the crisp autumn morning that it was a few hours ago, when I spotted about a hundred feet away from the highway four deer seeming to wonder at the crazy humans rushing to work and wasting the glorious day.

I did what I almost always do on such occasions.

I pressed the hazard lights on, pulled over to the side, and for a few minutes sat there watching them, while they watched me.  There was no traffic in either direction, and it was just me, the deer, the trees, blue sky, white clouds, and a cool breeze.

It was, for those couple of minutes, heaven on earth.

And then I drove on ... duty calls ...

I wonder if they will wait for me tomorrow ...

1 comment:

Rob and Sara said...

That's wonderful!

It's right in there with "stop & smell the roses."

BTW, be sure to check out my Custer State Park photo album on Facebook. :D