Monday, September 20, 2010

Ban "W" in India?

In case you thought this is about the "W" as in President Bush, well, far, far from it!

If any reader finds this of interest, and has explanations to offer: the Sanskrit language and its offsprings, and the Dravidian languages too, do not have a "w" sound. Thus, many Indians tend to pronounce, say, "went" as if it were "vent."  That is understandable.  But, what I don't get it is this: when writing a town name, for instance, in English, a "w" gets introduced.

Ok, let me give an example for this puzzle that has bugged me for a long time.

The board in the photo on the left is the sign at a railway station.
Notice the "w" in the name? 
But, then if you look at the name written in Hindi, it is a "v" sound; the Hindi letter corresponding to the "V" in Vijayawada.

 I would think that this then ought to be "Vijayavada," which is how it is referred to in Hindi and Tamil and Telugu ....

Unless it is a word imported from a foreign language, there is no place for "w" in India?

BTW, if you thought I butcher up the English pronunciations now, you ought to be happy you did not meet me when I was fresh off the boat decades ago :)

No comments: