Saturday, August 14, 2010

"Eat, Pray, Love" = "gag, shoot and leave"

The best review, yet, that I have read of Julia "I am a practising Hindu" Roberts' latest film:
For the longest time I thought "Eat, Pray, Love" was a sequel to "Eats, Shoots and Leaves."
Now I am enlightened. One is about the search for the meaning of life. The other is about the meaning of a comma.
I confess I never read Elizabeth Gilbert's bestseller except for browsing through a few pages in a copy sitting on a friend's bedside. I enjoyed the writing. Gilbert is warm and sympathetic. The story of picking yourself up after losing your way has universal appeal even if we all can't recharge under the Tuscan sun.
It's not Gilbert's fault but I have an instinctive reflex reaction to books about white people discovering themselves in brown places. I want to gag, shoot and leave.
Hilarious and biting.  Read the entire review.

Meanwhile, Salon has another piece on the controversies related to the yoga guru of the author of "Eat, Pray, Love" ... yes, it is about that three-letter word :)
Finally, how about the following poster? muahahaha

No comments: