Wednesday, August 04, 2010

I am not alone. Yay!!!

What percentage of Americans can't swim? Somewhere between one-third and around one-half.
Thank you, Slate.  This eases my misery a lot at being unable to swim. Shit, I can't even float :( 
Back in grad school, I thought I would achieve what had then been my lifelong goal-to be able to swim.  However, after a couple of weeks, the graduate assistant/instructor gave up.  His words I remember all too well: "I have never met someone who couldn't float."

Later in life, in Bakersfield, a friend recommended her friend who had one massive swimming pool in her backyard.  This was because she was a serious swimmer herself, and gave regular swim lessons.  She took it up as a professional challenge.  But, after the second session, this instructor breathed a big sigh of relief and confessed that she panicked when she saw me going down that rapidly.

So, despite all my passion for the rivers and the seas, all I can do is swim like a rock.  At least, it is really, really, comforting to know that I am not alone though. 

No comments: