Thursday, October 22, 2009

Richard Dawkins' next book

"Dear Juliet," ... "Now that you are ten, I want to write to you about something that is important to me. Have you ever wondered how we know the things that we know? How do we know, for instance, that the stars, which look like tiny pinpricks in the sky, are really huge balls of fire like the sun and are really far away? And how do we know that Earth is a smaller ball whirling round one of those stars, the sun? The answer to these questions is 'evidence.' "
Apparently that is how Richard Dawkins' next book begins.  It "will be for 12-year-olds, an expansion on a letter about the importance of critical thinking that he wrote to his daughter, Juliet, now a medical student, when she was 10."
Should be great.  Am reminded of the book Sophie's World--I bought that for my daughter when she was in her mid-teens.  Am not sure whether she read that; I did :-)

No comments: