Saturday, October 24, 2009

The New Yorker Magazine's Oct 26th issue


I might have gotten the full value of the subscription (a gift from my daughter) from this issue alone.  Jane Mayer's detailed notes on the various aspects of using the Predator drones in Pakistan is a must read for every single citizen.  Everything Mayer has to say is important.  One of the questions that she raises that continues to bug me is this: it is one thing to use those drones in Afghanistan, where we are waging a war.  But, when we use it, particularly via the CIA, in Pakistan, isn't that extra-judicial killing by the state, which is something that the US has explicitly forbidden?  A very informative but troubling essay.

The essay on the nasty fires in Melbourne earlier this year is a gripping story.  Had me sit up in my bed as I started reading it.  I recall following it, particularly because my brother and his family live in that city--though they were too much within the city to be affected by the fires. 

And, oh yeah, there is also a piece on James "I'm the king of the world" Cameron and his soon to be released "Avatar." 

No comments: