Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Greetings and wishes!

"How come Deepavali is so early this year?" I asked my father.

Mid-October?

In my memories, Deepavali came about the time that the northeast monsoon also arrived, or at least threatened.  There were quite a few Deepavalis that were dampened by the rains.  Maybe my memories are messed up, eh!

I can't even recall the last time I celebrated this Hindu festival, or any festival for that matter.  For this atheist, every single day that I am alive is enough cause for celebration.  Yet, similar to how I keep track of football and baseball scores even though I don't really follow any team or sport, I keep track of the major Hindu festival dates too.  Sports are conversational materials--especially with students-- and festivals are big deals for parents.

I use the word Deepavali because that is what we said during my years back in the old country.  Every once in a while, I use that other--perhaps more common--usage of Diwali.

"Diwali" annoys my sensibilities for one highly frustrating reason--there is no "w" sound in the Indian languages and, hence, should be spelled with a "v" and pronounced with that "v" sound.  "தீபாவளி" in Tamil has the letter for "v"--there is no "w" in Tamil!  No wonder that many of us from that part of the world end up pronouncing, for instance, wax as vax or van as wan.  I wonder why the old country's grammarians were so lax with introducing "w" where it does not belong!

Why overthink all these, you might ask.  Why not shrug the shoulders, and simply get to eating sweets even if not celebrating the day for religious reasons, right?  But, hey, thinking and overthinking is all that I can do.  There are moments, though, when I have wished for that thinking to be turned off ;)

Anyway, back to that original question of why Deepavali is so early this year.

It is all because of the lunar calendar that is used in the traditions.  When Deepavali is celebrated depends on when the new moon occurs in a certain month of that calendar.

I suppose it doesn't matter if it is Deepavali or Diwali.  Nor does it matter if you are a Hindu, or a Scientologist or even an atheist.  It is merely yet another reason to enjoy eating sweets. Have an awesomely sweet day.

Happy Deepavali!




ps: I don't want to make this political .. but, the way in which the Obamas so easily, elegantly, and charmingly engaged with such diverse socio-cultural moments, and to then have the current president and his wife ... what a shame!

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

What sweets did you make at home, considering you do those sort of things ??

Happy Deepavali to you. "Ours" was yesterday. As usual everybody can't agree what day is Deepavali. See, I don't want to offend your sensibilities :)

Light a lamp or two today at your house. Place a couple of lamps outside. Its all the spirit of celebration, atheist or not.

And did we really need the PS ???

Sriram Khé said...

I didn't make any sweets. Didn't light any lamp. I don't have any sensibilities to offend ;)

And, yes, "we really need the PS" ... big time. We need to constantly worry about what the orange monster has done and continues to do. In this post, it was a PS in fine-print. and in others, it is in bold face and the lead.
Yes, I constantly worry about the rapid reversal of progress under this orangutan and his 63 million monkeys. What I cannot understand is why others don't worry like I do!