Thursday, September 19, 2013

"Oh, now I remember you" ... it helps to be funny?

The haircut for $9.99 was tempting as I neared the traffic intersection.

I swung into the parking lot.  After all, even if the the people there think I am old enough to be retired, at least they don't charge me much!

"How do you want your hair cut?"

"With a lawn mower" is what I wanted to tell her with a big laugh.

I was polite instead.  "A regular cut to even things out" as I placed my glasses on the counter.

And then, of course, small talk began.

I smiled recalling the cartoon in a recent issue of the New Yorker:


"I've been here before" I told her, though she was not the one that I blogged about.  I guess now it is her turn to feature in my blog!  If only people knew about such crazy Andy Warhol moments!

"You kind of looked familiar" she said.  But, the hesitation in her was obvious.  She was trying to sort through her database of the faces of the people whose hair she has cut over her career.

We talked about the usual stuff.  About the rains in the forecast and the end of summer. About a new academic year beginning. About Thanksgiving. New Year.

"Time goes by so fast" she said.

I shared with her how I had made that kind of a remark about time going by faster as I get older, to which my mother's response was "wait till you get to my age; it gets even faster."

"That is exactly my grandmother said when I was little" she said.

"Ok, you are all set for your classes" she said.

As I reached out for my glasses, I thought I would get back to the wisecracking that I had stayed away from.  "So, when I put these glasses on, will I look like George Clooney?"

Her response was not what I had expected.

"Oh, now I remember you.  You said the same thing last time too."

"Darn!  I should figure out some new lines then."

"No, no. I thought it was funny, and that's why I remembered it."

I bet she said that to comfort me that I am not getting old and repeating myself.

I bet she said that to comfort me that I am not getting old and repeating myself.

I bet she said that to comfort me that I am not getting old and repeating myself.

Ha ha!  Am I funny or what?

After looking at myself in the mirror at home, I think I have a game plan for humor tomorrow.  I imagine going to the optician, who was laughing at everything I said only a few days ago.

"Hey, I have a problem with these new glasses."

"Oh, sorry.  What's wrong?"

"After I started wearing these glasses, the hair on my head fell off and I am now really bald!"

That will make sure the optician never, ever, forgets me, right?


2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Why are you going for a haircut in the first place.

And secondly , fancy paying $10 for a haircut and thinking its cheap. I can get by a whole year on that.

Now why am I repeating myself - same comment made some months ago :):)

Sriram Khé said...

you are repeating yourself because, ahem, you are even older than me ;)