Monday, September 16, 2013

More on the meaning of life ...

Sometimes, even I am amazed at myself for how easily I seem to swing from the profound to the funny and inane!


If, perchance, you don't recognize the source of that cartoon, yes, it is from the New Yorker.

Sometimes, I tell students not to be fooled by my warped sense of humor.  "It is a facade to hide the insanely serious guy" I say and laugh, which probably makes the students wonder all the more whether I am being serious or not.  Years ago, I routinely offered students a chance, at the very last meeting of the term, to come to the front of the class and make fun of me and my teaching.  Rarely ever did they take up the offer.

Gandhi was apparently a guy with a wonderful sense of humor as well.  Back when there was an artificial controversy over Hillary Clinton's bad attempt at a joke involving Gandhi, a New York Times oped pointed out that the "half-naked fakir" would have chuckled at her joke:
"If I had no sense of humor," he wrote in 1928, "I would long ago have committed suicide."
It is relatively easy to get along with people with a sense of humor. Humor that is harmless, that is.  Like the neighbor who shared with me the word "exhaustipated."  Doesn't matter what our ages are--we can share quite a few laughs over the time we are together.

Like how ninety-year old Jack, who had been silent while the other five of us chatted away. When he heard us talk about Bombay, he jumped in at a pause in the conversation and said, "yes, Bomb-bay.  Brings back a lot of memories from where I was" he chuckled. There was a reason for the joke--Jack was a bombardier in the Second World War.

So, are you wondering what the deal is with "exhaustipated" and thinking that surely is a made-up word?  Of course, it does not exist in the dictionary.

To cut a long story short (refer to the cartoon below for the female version of that phrase!) exhaustipated is derived by combining two words--exhausted and constipated.  So, what does this newly created word mean, according to my former neighbor, Jim?  "Too tired to give a shit."


2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Aren't you profunny ???

Sriram Khé said...

muahahaha ;)

as in prof + funny?