Sunday, August 12, 2012

Far and away from Oregon

No, it is not yet another post on how hot it has been.  (If you need to know, well, the highest number I have spotted in my car's temperature display this trip: 104!)

Naturally, places with temperature conditions vastly different from where home is (if you need to know, well, the high there is a pleasant 82**!) have very different vegetation as well.  That is, if there is any vegetation; Oregon has certainly spoilt me with a cool evergreen landscape that I miss already.

I went for a walk around Lake Miramar.  Shocking it was that it was already 71 when I parked there at 7:15.  With very little of trees to speak of in a dry and semi-desert environment, I wondered whether it was advisable to step off the road on to the dirt after reading a posted sign alerting people about rattlesnakes in the area.

But, stupid is as stupid does, and I did step off the road.  Saw a couple of wild rabbits darting across.  One stopped and looked at me, and I looked at him.  Stupid me forgot that I had the phone-camera in my hand!

And then I saw this cactus:


That beautiful cactus alone made it worth all the exposure in the insane heat.



** Update: Apparently home temperature was also high: 95 today :(

2 comments:

Shachi said...

ooh love the area....my sister lives right by Lake Miramar (she can see it from her patio).....San Diego is better than Folsom....my car showed 114F yday :(

Sriram Khé said...

That will be an awesome view every morning from your sister's place ... I hope it is cooling down at your place ...

BTW, how do you know our mutual friend, Ramesh???